Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Sun Fish


While in Allepey I spent my days walking the beach. After a dosa and a cup of coffee for breakfast, I would attach my camera to my hip, leave my flip flops at home and walk for hours along the beach.

One day I came up what appeared to be thousands of little fish drying in the sun. There were workers carrying basket loads of dried fish and dumping them in scattered piles. I went up to a man who appeared to be some sort of overseer and I asked him what all these fish were for.

"Achaar," he exclaimed with pride.

In Kerala, fish are dried and preserved as achaar (pickled). This was confirmed by friends in Delhi, whom, when I asked if there was anything I could bring back for them from Kerala they replied, "Nothing. Especially not Fish Achaar!"

Love to all.