Monday, April 02, 2007

entonces...






I arrived in Santiago de Chile just under a week ago. The main reason for my visit has been to see and hang with my bro, David, who is here on a study abroad program for the spring semester. Although, of course, down here it isn´t spring, it´s the beginning of autumn.

Chile is a magnificient place and Santiago is framed by the Pacific two hours west and the Andes mountains to the east, massive snow capped peaks in view, clear and cold on a crisp autumn day. My first week here, I headed west to the ocean and explored the hilly city of Valaparaiso, Chile- a port town and home (I think) of the Chilean Armada, the navy.

Valaparaiso is a hip town with heaps of artists and small little neighborhoods centered around the various hills that surround the horseshoe port of Valaparaiso. Horse, I learned this week, is eaten now and again like dried horse jerky here in Chile...

Above are a few selections from my first few days... A skilled juggler outside of the Museo des Belles Artes in Santiago. A sample of beautiful Valaparaiso graffitti. One of the many antique (and still working) acsensors that help folks ascend the steep Valparaiso hills (a view outside during the day and inside at night). And of course, a nighttime vista of Valaparaiso from my little room at the home I stayed at.

More goodness and a tale of crema manana...

love and health to all...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you go swimmming?

12:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Benny,

Glad to hear you arrived safe and sound. Have a great time!

Cheers,
John

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I studied/lived in Valparaiso this past fall, and I know just where that graffiti is! I love these pictures, they are a wonderful depiction of this beautiful city that I dearly miss.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Lis said...

b - i love the pic of the docs at valpo. you've captured it beautifully.
a

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home