Wednesday, October 03, 2007

life is like a river...





I spent all day monday, kayaking with my dearest of friends- Sam, Susan and Yasmine. We were on the Hudson River for about five hours just above the GW Bridge and right below the Tappan Zee. The weather was wonderful and a little windy and we went over and played in the reeds west way. It was rejuvenating and the best thing I could think of doing on a monday.

Langston Hughes' 1922 poem, "The Negro Speaks of Rivers" is one of my favorite of all time. I'd like to share it with you...

I've known rivers:
I've known rivers ancient as the world and older than the flow
of human blood in human veins.

My soul has grown deep like the rivers.

I bathed in the Euphrates when dawns were young.
I built my hut near the Congo and it lulled me to sleep.

I looked upon the Nile and raised the pyramids above it.
I heard the singing of the Mississippi when Abe Lincoln went
down to New Orleans, and I've seen its muddy bosom turn
all golden in the sunset.

I've known rivers:
Ancient, dusky rivers.

My soul has grown deep like the rivers.

-Langston Hughes

love and health to all...

2 Comments:

Blogger Lis said...

breezy
these pics are awesome! esp the first one.
xo
a

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

these photos ae all fabulous.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home