Monday, December 01, 2008

hey, can i still win that contest? my entry is past the deadline...


years ago while studying in the south pacific, i found myself in the lovely city of melbourne, australia. always or almost always, i had had my camera with me to photograph this marvelous city and the urban landscapes in and around melbourne.

at that same time, the library of carleton college (the college in minnesota where i was studying at the time) was holding a study abroad photo contest with a small purse to the winner, the runner up and so on and so forth. the contest was for images with the theme, well naturally, having something to do with a library and libraries of the world...

i remember arriving upon this library sticking up out of the sidewalk and immediately thinking, holy moly, this is the photo i'll use to enter the contest! of course, this was way before i had gotten into digital photography and such, so this image was originally a negative. i think i was with my friend sam when we ran into this gem. i handed him my camera, ran to the base of the cornice with my sketch pad, climbed this piece of man made rock and slightly uncomfortably found a corner of the library where i could peacefully sit and read...

i wonder if i can still enter the photo contest...

love and health to all...