Tuesday, January 04, 2011

la rosita


it's a new year but sometimes you just need to go back.

rummaging through my mom's closet, a space where i rarely find myself exploring, i came upon her old 35 mm konica camera, the same one she used to take snaps with all throughout my childhood. yearning for a camera to use, and realizing that mine were in toronto, i bought some new batteries and began taking some snaps myself. the penny sized batteries didn't help the light meter and i found myself guessing exposures.

i brought one roll of black and white into the shop and back came a mere six pictures, none had i taken during this december. instead, what i saw was a relic from the past - la rosita restaurant - a photo of my favorite breakfast spot of all time, the best cafe con leche evah! and you believe me, that's a known fact for all who grew up round 110th street in the 80s and 90s. i bet this photo was made waiting to grub with my main rosita compadre, the atlas who holds the world...

this, if i were to guess, was taken near the end of la rosita, those somber days when we all wished something or someone would save it. when would that be, well, perhaps 2004 or even earlier...

memories...

love and health to all...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Catherine Garoupa White said...

You're such a great artist Ben! I'm glad to see you are still at it. Hugs and love, and all the best in the New Year! Your Dehradun dost, Catherine

12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home